Join us on Diaspora* and reclaim your freedom, your privacy and your data in 2015!
- it’s ad-free!
- it’s nonprofit!
- it’s decentralized!
- it’s privacy aware!
- it’s open source!
- it’s growing fast!
- it’s easy!
- it’s for YOU!
While diaspora may not yet have all the features other social network offer (mind you, the open source community is adding features all the time…!), it does offer you ***ethical values*** that many other social networks lack!
With major social media corporations constantly changing their terms of service for the worse, lots of people are looking for alternatives!
YOU CAN HELP THEM reclaim their online freedom by letting them know diaspora* exists!
What can YOU do to make this campaign a major success?
- Please back this Thunderclap campain by lending out your Twitter, Tumblr, and/or Facebook account (if you still have one..). If we reach our supporter goal, Thunderclap will blast out a timed Twitter, Facebook, or Tumblr post from you and all your supporters, creating a wave of attention.
- You can make a compelling post on all your social media accounts with a link to this thunderclap website, asking your friends to back the campaign too. It’s important to have a clear call to action when you begin promoting. Clearly state that you need people to click on your invite link, widget, or embed button to Thunderclap and “Support with Facebook” or “Support with Twitter”.
- You might want to post a message to in any (Facebook) groups you are involved in.
- You can embed a link to the campaign page on your blog or website. The code is available on the campaign’s project page. Just click the “Embed” link and copy and paste the code into the HTML of your webpage.
- You can send out an email to all your friends referring them to this thunderclap site, asking them to back it up!
- You can promote it at school or at work.
- You can use all the artwork that is provided here, here and here to make your messages more attractive, or you can of course create your own!
- If you are following any famous people, policitians, or other public figures you think might be receptive to what diaspora* stands for, consider sending them a tweet or a message, kindly inviting them to back the campaign and re-tweet/ re-share.
- And you can of course ask your close friends and family to join in (as a christmas present to you :-))
- You can show and tell you are a diasporian by changing your profile pic on FB, twitter and Tumblr to something like this or this or this or….
- You probably have some other creative ideas. Share them on diaspora* using the hashtag #thunderclap2015!
Be sure to keep the message positive! This isn’t set up for bashing other platforms, it is set up to inform people that Diaspora exist so they know they have a choice ❤
❤ It lets you own your data!
Many networks use your data to make money by analysing all your online (inter)actions and using this sensitve and personal information to advertise things to you. Diaspora* doesn’t use your data for any purpose other than allowing you to connect and share with others. In diaspora* you own your data. You do not sign over any rights to a corporation or other interest who could use it. With diaspora*, your friends, your habits, and your content is your business … not ours! In addition, you choose who sees what you share, using Aspects.
❤ It gives you freedom!
You can be whoever you want to be in diaspora*. Unlike some networks, you don’t have to use your real identity. You can interact with whomever you choose in whatever way you want. The only limit is your imagination. diaspora* is also Free Software, giving you liberty to use it as you wish.
❤ It is decentralized!
Instead of everyone’s data being contained on huge central servers owned by a large organization, local servers (“pods”) can be set up anywhere in the world. You choose which pod to register with – perhaps your local pod – and seamlessly connect with the diaspora* community worldwide.
Most social networks are run from centralized servers owned and run by a corporation. These store all the private data of their users. This information can be lost or hacked, and like any system with a bottleneck, any problem at the central servers can make the whole network run very slowly, or not at all. It is also more easy for governments to “listen in.”
Diaspora* is a true network, with no central base. There are servers (called “pods”) all over the world, each containing the data of those users who have chosen to register with it. These pods communicate with each other seamlessly, so that you can register with any pod and communicate freely with your contacts, wherever they are on the network.
❤ It is open source!
Diaspora* is completely Free Software. This means there are no limits on how it can be used. You can even take the source code and change it to make it work in the way you want to, and help us improve the network. We’d love to have you on board.
❤ You can choose your audience!
Diaspora*’s aspects allow you to share with just those people you want to. You can be as public or as private as you like. Share a funny photo with the whole world, or a deep secret just with your closest friends. You’re in control.
❤ You can even host it yourself ( if you want to… )
Choose where your data are stored by choosing a pod you’re happy with. If you want to be really secure, you can set up and host your own pod on servers you control, so no one can get at your personal data.